The Eastern Africa Grain Council (EAGC) is partnering with the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock & Fisheries, State Department of Agriculture, in the implementation of the Kenya Cereals Enhancement Programme (KCEP). Under this Programme, EAGC is responsible for implementing the Post-Harvest Management & Market Linkages component which aims at supporting farmers to capitalize on their productivity gains through promoting improved on-farm grain-handling and management, access to storage and warehouse receipt systems, increasing smallholders’ access to markets, and building their capacities to sell their produce at more favourable terms and prices.
Reporting to the Kenya Country Programs Manager, the successful candidate for the advertised position will be responsible for the following amongst others:
• Preparation the Work Plan, Budget and progress report for the KCEP Project within the agreed timelines;
Marketing and Market Linkages:
• Support farmers to establish and maintain business partnerships with lead buyers of their grain produce;
• Hosting meetings between buyers and farmers to enable the signing of contracts for supply of grain.
• Training farmers on trading platforms and supporting them to use the platform for trading of grain.
• Provide technical support in development of value addition and processing activities in the targeted value chains;
a) Support in identification and certification of farmer-owned and privately-owned warehouses for Warehouse Receipt System.
b) Support the training of collection centres on stores and inventory management.
c) Support the training of warehouse operators on warehouse management, quality and inventory management.
Partners and Stakeholders Management:
a) Identify partners at national and county level to support the KCEP initiative.
b) Forge collaboration with County Offices and ensure that KCEP activities are implemented successfully in all the selected counties;
c) Represent EAGC in all meetings related to KCEP organized by the Government of Kenya through the Ministry of Agriculture;
Farmer mobilization and training:
• Develop and manage the mobilization, organization and capacity building of farmer organizations.
• Supervise the training of targeted farmers on good harvest and post-harvest management practices.
• Identify and provide capacity building support to service providers involved in harvest and post-harvest handling of grains in targeted programme areas;
Qualification, Skills and Experience
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture/Agribusiness/Agricultural Economics or any other relevant course,
• Not less than 5 years relevant experience and which should include programme planning, management, monitoring, and evaluation.
• Have an understanding of the structured grain markets in Kenya, including warehouse receipt systems;
• Have experience in supporting farmer organizations in improving harvest and post-harvest handling of their produce, and linkages to markets;
• Have experience in business development services to farmers, farmer organizations and SMEs along commercial agriculture value chains.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Good interpersonal, presentation and problem solving skills
If your background and competence match the above specifications, please send your application demonstrating how your qualifications & experience matches our requirements. It should include an updated CV, your current remuneration package, valid email address, daytime contact number and full contact details of 3 referees including day time telephone number to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th June 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. EAGC is an equal opportunity employer.