The Eastern Africa Grain Council (EAGC) is a membership-based organization registered in Kenya with country offices in Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Rwanda. Our members are key stakeholders and players in the grain value chain including cereal growers, millers and processors drawn from within the Eastern Africa Region and beyond. Our core mandate is to develop and promote orderly structured marketing systems and provide market information for grains so as to reduce transaction costs and eliminate barriers’ to regional trade
We seek to fill the advertised position with an individual whose main responsibility will be to implement implementing the AGRA Ihemi-Ludewa Cluster Project in Iringa and Njombe regions of Tanzania whose goal is to increase incomes and improve market access of smallholder farmers.
Reporting to the Programs Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties amongst others:
- Planning & Execution of Field activities
- Plan and execute EAGC activities in assigned area including identifying potential farmers/ farmer groups and markets for aggregated commodities;
- Ensure good relation with the stakeholders and other agencies for purpose of information sharing and successful implementation of the EAGC activities;
- Responsible for effective use of project resources such as motorbikes while in the field.
- Grain Aggregation systems
- Identify organized famers and profile them to assess their readiness to participate in structured trading system;
- Liaise with farmer organizations to establish suitable grain aggregation centres in the assigned areas;
- Mobilize farmers to utilize the established grain aggregation centers;
- Structured Trading Systems
- Identify the warehouses suitable for grain storage in project sites ;
- Establish market linkages & identify buyers for the grain commodities held in the aggregation centers;
- Training & Awareness
- Work together with the Program Officer to carry out field assessments to determine the needs and interests of the farmers and other stakeholders;
- Sensitize and create awareness about EAGC services to farmers, traders and other stakeholders through training, field days, workshops and any other forums in the assigned areas;
- Market Information Services
- Collect and relay any relevant market information to EAGC including crop updates, price information, grain supply and demand and grain sources.
- Collect and submit the grain volumes in aggregation centers and certified warehouses in the assigned areas.
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Prepare field activity reports on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual basis.
- Maintain an up to date record of all farmers, farmer groups, aggregation centers, warehouses and stakeholders.
Qualification, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in agricultural economics, agribusiness or related agricultural field
- Two (2) years relevant working experience.
- Experience working with farmers or in an agribusiness environment will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A problem solver, team player and independent thinker.
- Capacity to manage several tasks simultaneously. Be flexible and willing to assume a range of unanticipated assignments.
- Demonstrated knowledge in use of Ms Office suite.
- Have a valid motor cycle riding licenses and a minimum of two years riding experience.
If your background and competence match the above specifications, please send your application demonstrating how your qualifications & experience matches our requirements. It should include an updated C.V., your current remuneration package, valid email address, daytime contact number and full contact details of 3 referees including day time telephone number to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd November 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. EAGC is an equal opportunity employer.