The Eastern Africa Grain Council (EAGC) (www.eagc.org) is a regional private sector membership, not-for-profit company limited by Guarantee and founded in 2006. The Council’s operations span over 10 countries in Eastern Africa region including: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, DR Congo, Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia and South Sudan. Our members are key stakeholders and players in the grain value chain including cereal growers, millers and processors. Our core mandate is to develop and promote orderly structured marketing systems and provide market information for grains so as to reduce transaction costs and eliminate barriers to regional trade. Our interventions are through key service pillars including Policy Advocacy, Capacity Building & Training through the Eastern Africa Grain Institute (EAGI), provision of Market Information through EAGC RATIN (www.ratin.net) and facilitation Structured Grain Trade through the EAGC G-Soko online grain trade system (www.gsoko.com)
We seek to hire a Head of Finance & Administration who will be responsible for the financial health of EAGC! You will be expected to develop and implement the necessary strategies, policies, systems and processes that facilitate effective and efficient implementation of programs and services to achieve the objectives of EAGC while also safeguarding our financial resources, ensuring the organization can meet its financial obligations and promote financial sustainability.
Reporting to the Executive Director/CEO and working with individuals based both at our regional Head Office and in the Country Offices, you will have the following key responsibilities.
- Develop/review and enforce regional financial policies, procedures and guidelines that ensure compliance with statutory requirements in each country of operation, the maintenance of appropriate books of accounts, and embedded with the necessary controls.
- Lead the financial planning process for the Council including financial strategic planning, budgeting, support fundraising activities, cash-flow planning and treasury management etc, to maximize returns and promote efficiency.
- Support the development of new ventures such as partnerships, new business streams, assets acquisition, etc by providing thorough assessments of their financial viability and sustainability.
- Manage the financial performance of the Council to include financial monitoring & evaluation, facilitating pre and post internal and external audits, and the provision of various progress and monitoring reports to the various stakeholders.
- Manage tax matters and other statutory requirements regionally to ensure compliance and minimize the Council’s exposure.
- Develop and implement systems that facilitate report generation for internal use and for our various stakeholders including Board papers, statutory and partners reports.
- Manage relationships with various stakeholders in the region including EAGC members, Banks, Government institutions, Development partners, Business partners, etc.
- Build the capacity of EAGC staff on financial matters to enable them plan and manage the financial aspects of their work and comply with the financial policies and procedures.
- Manage and oversee all Procurement, Human Resource and Administration roles in line with organizational requirements, policies and procedures.
- Oversee the management of all EAGC Assets by ensuring all assets are well documented, appropriately valued, insured and well maintained.
Academic and professional Qualifications and experience required
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is mandatory; Masters degree preferably in Business related course.
- Professional qualifications such as CPA, ACCA or equivalent. A CFA will be an added advantage. Active membership to a related professional body will also be an advantage.
- 10 years relevant work experience which should include experience in the region specifically in countries where EAGC has presence, and an understanding of the various financial and tax compliance requirements
- Experience of designing and implementing effective financial systems and controls for efficient financial management and performance monitoring;
- Experience and training in General Management, HR, Procurement, Business Process Outsourcing, Not for Profit/Membership Organizations & Private Sector will be preferred
- Relationship management, project finance management and report writing particularly experience in donor reporting.
- Proven IT skills in ERP Software such as SAP Business One will be an added advantage.
- Team player, people leadership-achieving results through people with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- High integrity, initiative and business acumen.
- Highly organized with the capacity to manage several tasks simultaneously, be flexible and be willing to assume a range of unanticipated assignments.
How to apply:
Apply Now via our recruitment portal. This will require you to create a profile; in addition attach your detailed and up to date CV with your contact details, details of current and expected remuneration and the names of three professional referees by close of business 5th January 2019.