Job Title: Field Officer
Location/Duty Station: Coast Region, Kilifi County
Reporting to: Country Program Manager – Kenya
Supervises: Contracted Service Providers/Interns
The Eastern Africa Grain Council (EAGC) is a membership-based organization registered in Kenya with country offices in Rwanda, Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, Ethiopia, South Sudan, Malawi, DR. Congo, and Zambia. Our members are key stakeholders and players in the grain value chain including cereal growers, millers and processors drawn from within the Eastern Africa Region and beyond .Our core mandate is to develop and promote orderly structured marketing systems and provide market information for grains to reduce transaction costs and eliminate barriers to regional trade We seek to fill the advertised position with an individual whose main responsibility will be to support the Kenya Country Programs in provision of member services and project implementation including structured trading systems and Market Information systems, Training & Capacity Building, Policy Research & Advocacy and any program activities implemented by the Council in Kenya.
Reporting to the Country Programs Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties amongst others:
- Planning & Execution of Field activities
- Plan and execute EAGC activities in assigned area including identifying potential farmers/ farmer groups and markets for aggregated commodities;
- Ensure good relation with the stakeholders and other agencies for purpose of information sharing and successful implementation of the EAGC activities;
- Responsible for effective and responsible use of project resources such as motorbikes while in the field.
- Grain Aggregation systems
- Identify and organize famers into farmer Groups and profile them to assess their readiness to participate in structured trading system;
- Liaise with farmer organizations to establish suitable grain aggregation centers in the assigned areas;
- Mobilize farmers to utilize the established grain aggregation centers;
- Structured Trading Systems
- Identify the warehouses suitable for grain storage in project sites;
- Establish market linkages & identify buyers for the grain commodities held in the aggregation centers;
- Training, Awareness Creation & Capacity Building
- Work together with the Program Officer to carry out field assessments to determine the needs and interests of the farmers and other stakeholders;
- Sensitize and create awareness about EAGC services to farmers, traders, processors and other stakeholders through training, field days, workshops and any other forums in the assigned areas;
- Market Information Services
- Collect and relay relevant market information to EAGC including crop updates, market price information, grain supply and demand and grain sources.
- Collect and submit the grain volumes in aggregation centers and certified warehouses in the assigned areas.
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Prepare field activity reports on a weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual basis.
- Maintain an up to date record of all farmers, farmer groups, aggregation centers, warehouses and stakeholders.
Qualification, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in agricultural economics, agribusiness or related agricultural field
- Two (2) years relevant working experience.
- Experience working with farmers or in an agribusiness environment will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A problem solver, team player and independent thinker.
- Capacity to manage several tasks simultaneously. Be flexible and willing to assume a range of unanticipated assignments.
- Demonstrated knowledge in use of Ms. Office suite.
- Have a valid motor cycle riding licenses and a minimum of two years riding experience.
If your background and competence match the above specifications, please send your application demonstrating how your qualifications & experience matches our requirements. It should include an updated C.V., your current remuneration package, valid email address, daytime contact number and full contact details of 3 referees including day time telephone number to: email@example.com by 9th October 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EAGC is an equal opportunity employer.